LUCKNOW: Isabella Thoburn College started as a one-room school with six girls on April 18, 1870. After an year, the college was shifted to Lal Bagh which was the house of the treasurer of the last Nawab of Oudh. It was then the students strength began to increase. By 1876, there were 65 boarders and 51 day scholars on roll in the school. With the demand for higher education growing in the city, the college was named asLucknow Women's College which began functioning on July 12, 1886 with Fine Arts classes affiliated to Calcutta University. In 1984, the college was affiliated to Allahabad University.
The college is the outcome of the dedication, struggles and initiatives of Isabella Thoburn, an American Missionary who was among the first missionaries sponsored by the Women's Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church to India. Though facing the challenges of social taboos, conservative parental attitudes, and epidemics, there was nothing that could dent Thoburn's unflinching determination - to bring education to women of India and empower them.
After 31 challenging years, Thoburn died of cholera in 1901. Hence, the college was named in her memory, IT College, as it is known today. In 1923, the college moved from Lal Bagh to Chand Bagh, its present site. Large modern buildings with proper classrooms, laboratories, hostels, library has been the hallmark of the college, which attracts students in large numbers.
Over the years, the college had made steady contribution in the field of education and upliftment and education of women in India. The college holds the distinction of being the first Women Christian College in Asia.